Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The Edge of Safety


Everything important in life I learned before I was six.

My Mom and I started off on our own. She was a single mom until I was six. My Dad was a little on the wild side, to put it mildly. She figured that the best place for him was away from us. At nineteen years old she bundled me up and ran away to safety.

I don't have many memories about those first six years - just vignettes and snapshots that are random and out of sequence.  When I think about those years I get the picture of Christopher Robin in a rain jacket skipping through mud puddles.

‘One, two, buckle my shoe’

We lived with my Grandparents for awhile. Then we got a place on Park Avenue. That's the Park Avenue in Kelowna, B.C., Canada not Park Avenue, New York, N.Y., USA. There are probably no two points on the Earth farther apart than the two Park Avenues.

Mom worked. I remember a pizza restaurant called the Colony. The memory of this place is the clearest of my first six years. I remember the name of the restaurant, how my mom looked, the smells and the tastes - especially the taste of pizza. Every payday Friday we would have a mushroom and olive pizza. We were vegetarians. I thought everyone was. In the 60's many were.

To this day I associate mushrooms and olives with being safe and happy.

This feeling of safety started to fade when I was six. My mom remarried and I had two half sisters in rapid succession. I was a sensitive kid and I didn't adapt very well. I didn't feel like I fit and I didn't have that feeling of safety any more.

And then this happened ------------------------------->

I spent a decade or so chasing my tail and trying to fit in. I all but erased the simple lessons of my first six years.

I was unhappy and unsafe.

I am happy to report my eventual return to happy and safe. The circle is complete. Today these feelings come from within and are supported by a loving wife and three daughters. There is no longer any question of where I fit. Not only am I safe but I now provide safety to others.

Last night my six-year-old wanted to sleep with me. She wanted to feel safe. Sprawled diagonally across my bed, her blanket had fallen off and she'd dropped her stuffy. I fixed her blanket and realised it was the wrong stuffy. I went to her room and got the right one.

In that moment, as she squeezed her stuffy and sunk a little deeper into the pillow, she knew what safe and happy felt like. She didn't know how or why and it didn't matter. It was part of her now. It would kick in when she needed it.

Before the complications and compound complications love was simple, not something that had to be worked on. My Mom taught me all I ever needed to know about love and life in my first six years. She taught me a lifetime of value before either of us ever found out about the things we didn't know.

"One, two, buckle my shoe ..."

44 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your memories and I love that pizza=safety to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why pizza is a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post! My 9yo (youngest) son will still crawl in bed with us (especially during a thunderstorm). It's harder to sleep but those days are numbered and I'm sure I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y same I complain but it's worst that my 12 yo doesn't any more.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I often grumble when our 5 year old plants herself (and one or two stuffed animals) in our bed in the middle of the night. Your post gives me a fresh perspective and the comfort of knowing that, in her mind, she's "safe".

    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to your mother! She sounds like a really strong person. I like how your describe safety as if it were tangible. It is a gift we can "give" our kids- brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for your mom for instilling such a sense of safety for you in a tough circumstance. It matters to so many future generations that we continue to break those chains for our own kids. This was such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother was a teacher and she said that you can tell how any kid is going to turn out by the time he is six.

    But any kid that has one person in the world they feel loves them is a pretty lucky kid. The rest is just gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly belive that. MY childhood was a wreck from 6 n but I always bounced back and I believe its from those first 6 years.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post and topic. Safety is not something I grew up feeling and I'm always awed by people who did. Great tribute to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you don't have that grounding it must be tough. You have to build it on your own and to surround yourself with safe people.

      Delete
  9. Sweet post. I love the way you describe the pizza restaurant memories. It sounds like you're a great dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I think daughters would say I am :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Actions speak louder than words ... happy mother's week.

      Delete
  11. This is so different from what you posted last night! The sentiment is the same, but the writing is so tight. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you started this post with your six-year-old self and ending with your six-year-old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And this is why I always go to my kids at night when they wake. I'll hold any of them all night in the rocker if they need it... My arms are never too full for that kind of love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so sweet. so very very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a touching topic. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What all kids need, definitely. You're a great dad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very touching and beautifully told story. I am glad your children feel the safety that you lacked as a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautifully written story. Very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a beautifully told story, Sam! Tight and touching all at once. I will never view a mushroom and olive pizza the same every. And nothing, I mean nothing, beats "she knew what safe and happy felt like". Our son snuck into our room almost every night until he was ten or eleven. He wouldn't get in bed but we'd find him behind the chair or a plant. He said our carpeting made him sleep (even though he had the same in his bedroom). Wonderful tribute to your young mother.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the weekly pizza tradition. Rituals go a long way towards making anyone - especially children - feel secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the routines and stability that means the most.

      Delete
  21. I' so glad you decided to link this post up... what a great tribute to your mother. The best way to thank a parent for a job well done is to become a good parent.

    Montreal has a Park Avenue also! In one part it's known as Park Ave. But in other parts it is known exclusively as Avenue du Parc. It took me YEARS to realize it was the exact same road, only an echo of our country's two major oppositions...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't that funny... So at least Park avenues.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome piece, and also peace I suppose :D I loved the ending and the safety your girl feels and hopefully will never lose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I Love this!!!! Especially the part about the mushrooms and olives....

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Catholic church says to give them your children the first seven years and they will be a Catholic for life. The emotional development of growing up cannot be trivialized.

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.