Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Edge on Muddling Through: Incremental Planning

Happy Easter weekend folks. 

I am doing some housecleaning on this site and I had to delete some old posts from when I started in 2012. If you've been following since then you may see some familiar writing coming back into the fold as I reintroduce some of my key themes and principles to this Blog and my new Strategy Website

I have written about the "Science of Muddling Through" before; however, it plays such an important role in my ongoing strategies and successes that I feel it is worth revisiting. Muddling through is also the second principle in my eBook "7 Simple Success Principles" - the post below is adapted from that chapter. 

The first principle is "Have a Plan", the Science of Muddling Through builds off that momentum. My free eBook "5 Steps to Planning Success" is a detailed look a the Rational Comprehensive Planning Model. 


I will provide a link at the end of this post.

Since writing this chapter, I discovered a new favourite word that I now use way too much - "iterate or iterative". It is not a common word but it is the root word or reiterate which means to repeat for emphasis. It is a perfect word for the point am making here because it means to "perform or utter repeatedly". 


Planning is an iterative process. 

Throughout the planning process we constantly repeat our previous steps as new information is uncovered. This allows us to remain open to the infinite potential and opportunity of life. 

The reason I am writing this today is I have been working on a new website: "The Edge on Strategy." I started off with a general idea of sharing my strategic planning experience. This takes a leap of faith and it is when to "boo birds" and "toxic people" usually smell blood and swarm, trying to shake your confidence - it takes a strong stomach to hold the course. Starting a new business is hard work and it takes sacrifices to succeed. 


That's why most businesses fail. 

Since September 2012 I have written and self-published four eBooks and produced over a million words of original content for three new websites. I have refined my strategic focus to where I am now starting to focus on eCommerce and commodity trading strategies. I will be coming out with new eBook this summer - a greatest hits of sorts. I am gathering momentum and building my new exciting life working from my home and doing what I love. 

I never would have guessed at the beginning that I would end up here. I find myself in a much better and much different position by following my own advice and ignoring the haters. Time and time again I have employed my Principles of Success and I come out far beyond my dreams. This is because I don't know how to dream properly - I will always sell my self short unless I let go of my old ideas and trust the power of attraction and manifestation.

This stuff really works!! 

So, enjoy this exert from my eBook "7 Simple Success Principles".

*******

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” Jimmy Dean  

A [Rational Comprehensive] Plan sets a solid foundation for success; however, it does have limitations. It is rigid, inflexible and not well equipped to deal with constantly moving project targets. To compensate for this, an ongoing system for monitoring is required. One system is the feedback loop I have added to the model graphic shown above. A feedback loop allows us to return to our project options or visioning when we run into unforeseen challenges or opportunities.

INCREMENTAL PLANNING

Incremental Planning, also known as the Science of Muddling Through gives us flexibility to adapt to changing project conditions. Next to Rational Comprehensive Planning, Incremental Planning is the most widely accepted approach in the planning profession. Rational Comprehensive Planning combined with Incremental Planning creates a solid planning foundation with both structure and flexibility.

The path to success is riddled with forks, speed bumps and hazardous conditions that require flexibility and adaptation.  Incremental Planning allows for adjustment and adaptation to the ever-changing project landscape. We muddle through by moving forward with bite-sized ”increments”. As we hit certain decision points, or milestones, we review our project direction and adapt based on changing conditions.

When we combine Incremental Planning and Rational Comprehensive Planning, we make the impossible possible.

We begin a project by determining what we want. We set our vision and goals in place for decision-making. We set up a workable process with clear direction and support. By starting our project off in this way we have set a foundation for success.

The problem is it is limited and inflexible. We risk missing benefits that present themselves along the way. When we Muddle Through we are alert and nimble. It also takes the pressure off – we don’t have to be perfect the first time. It is a work in progress. When new information arises, we stop, review, adapt and move on. By implementing our plans in increments we have created a dynamic and intuitive process - a plan that morphs and evolves with ever changing project opportunities. 

We have created our Plan. Now, we make minor adjustments and realize incredible rewards with little risk. Often we end up with a better outcome‚”Project 2.0‚” Other times we end up with spin-off projects that we were able to accomplish by putting the data already created to work on another related set of goals ”Project A, B, C”

Incremental Planning purists claim that we should not have any predetermined outcomes at all and that the very use of Rational Comprehensive Planning at all corrupts the process. Poppycock!!! (Pardon my Irish) We always need to focus our sights on a target so we know where we are going. Muddling without Rational Comprehensive Planning is chaos. Rational Comprehensive Planning without Incremental Planning is stiff and limited.

Without a structural base we lack focus and direction. We cannot be successful if we don’t have defined outcomes. However, we have to be sure to remain open minded and let go of old ideas when new and better ones come into play. This is precisely why the two methods complement each other so well.

Some people struggle with flexibility and change. For them working in increments is challenging. However, successful people identify their shortcomings and take steps to overcome them. If you know you have an extreme personality that would interfere - it is your responsibility to find creative ways to make it work in your favor. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Successful people don’t waste time on things they don’t do well. They delegate, or subcontract, these tasks and concentrate on their strengths.

Surround yourself with people who have strengths that complement your weaknesses.

Implementing plans using Incremental Planning is like steering a boat. When navigating a boat, you choose a prominent geographical feature in the distance and point the bow in that direction.  If you simply locked the wheel to go straight ahead you will drift off course. In order to stay on course, you have to adjust slightly from time to time to account for wind, current and other variables. 

Incremental Planning is just like that.

*******


Best Sam Edge
Edge on Strategy

No comments:

Post a Comment

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.