Monday, December 31, 2012

The Edge of 2013

2012 can kiss my ass. 2012 will always be the year I lost a bitter custody battle with my ex over my 11 year-old daughter - Emma. It was like losing my best friend and was the hardest thing I've had to face in my life.

I have referred to Emma in my posts but not the loss of custody. I was processing and still very much on the Edge of Grief. Now that the dust has settled, and I am well into the calm waters of acceptance, I don't mind sharing it with you folks. This Blog is about my experiences - good and bad - and how they have shaped my life and made me a better man. If I am not willing to put myself out there, to show some vulnerability, then I might as well write about someone else's life. 

Adversity has always been my greatest teacher. If not for the challenges in my life I would never have had to engage in the soul searching, the taking stock and renovations in my life that I have. I would never have learned to cherish the good times if it wasn't for the bad. This was no exception.

For years I have been bordering on burn-out from being a workaholic. I have been saying, "this year I'm taking some time off to rest." I have talked about taking up creative writing and developing my passions. I have told my family that I would spend more time with them and not be so serious and tense. But it was always tomorrow.

It was the loss of custody that pushed me to make these things happen. I took six months off work that I never would have of my own volition. I took care of some health issues I had been neglecting. I reviewed the business model of our small consulting firm with my wife and saw how we could do more with less. I started writing. 2012 was also the year my youngest daughter Abigail was born and the year I fell in love with my Wife again.

I took time to hang out with my Wife when she was pregnant rather than working fourteen hours a day. I have been involved in the early raising of Abigail and watched all the early development phases that I missed while I slowly worked myself to death during the other two pregnancies. I came to appreciate how fortunate I really am and how abundantly I live. My relationship with  my Wife and daughters, including Emma, got broader and deeper. I even came to resolve some long standing tensions with my own parents.

So since all these wonderful things are happening due to the adversity and personal anguish resulting from loss of custody I guess I should be grateful for 2012 - right? NOPE! I am a child of the Eighties. I grew up on ACDC, Ozzy Osborne and Judas Priest's, not Bob Dillan, James Taylor and most definitely NOT Kurt Cobain. You see, I get stronger and my life gets better in spite of adversity - not because of it. So ya - 2012 can kiss my ass and 2013 here I come :)

Happy New Year, From the Edge.

11 comments:

  1. My 2012 included a death in the family and--dunno if it was directly related or coincidental--a major fade in writing creativity. 2013 is starting out with a much-changed relationship and creative landscape; good or bad, that's going to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,

      I must apologize for not responding earlier to your Comment. As you know I am new to this and I didn't realize I had to approve the Comments before they get published. You have no idea how much feed back and dialogue mean to me. It is the reason that I started Bogging - engage the world in a discussion on getter Better.

      Martha, the Depression that I felt when I loose anyone close is for reason. That type of lose is too much for us so we go into a protective mode and shrink inward. It was an important part of my process. We are not meant to stay there. I exercise, talk someone I trust, pray (if you go for that), volunteer, write, hug someone to get through the depressions During these time I keep eye open because I think there may be something big and good coming. I need to learn to embrace the good and the bad. Its ll part of who I am. - holy next blog post here.

      Anyways that my 2 cents take what you need and leave the rest., keep your head up Girl.

      Sam.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jason
    Wise words and good idea for a site!!Funny I was just thinking about the "Facebook site" and why it is called Facebook. On personal posts it seems more like a falseface site where we post what we want people to believe about us lol!
    I also suffered great losses in 2012 and am glad to see the end of it. People... mostly family became like strangers to me and I had to learn the meaning of acceptance and letting go with love.I decided to take some time to look into how much i have hurt myself by allowing people, places and things to affect my behaviour and self-image. I too, explored things that I've always wanted to do like writing and painting instead of indulging in my usual self-destructive patterns. I never got to know you very well but would like to say that what I did see in you was strong determination to "beat the odds" and share your experience,strength and hopes with others in a good way.

    What a great way to do it!!!
    P.S. Happy Belated New Year to you and yours.

    deb b

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Deb - Man I sure appreciate the comments - thank for giving us a little look into what you are going through. For me, I tend to think I am the only one in who felt "A", Did "B" and Fought off "C'. When I share I truly engage the other Humans. And that's how relationships are bult.. One measure of a healthy life is the health of all relationships combined. I am very excited about doing this with "Notre from the Edge" here we have the chance to be a part of a global community focussing on sharing and building relationships.

    If you haven't already, Join my site by E-Mail. You can aso Share to Face Book and Twitter by clicking the Icons under the E-mail Sign up Box

    Cheers and Thanks Again Deb. :)

    « Back to Blogger View Blog Help
    Templates
    Background
    Adjust widths
    Layout
    Advanced

    Live on Blog
    Based on Picture Window


    Dynamic Views

    Simple

    Picture Window

    Awesome Inc.

    Watermark

    Ethereal

    Travel





    You've customised this template.
    Remove customisations
    Gadget on the side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww I keep falling in love with you more every day too ...love you and your writing :) moves me to tears

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Baby .. my biggest Fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the core of your your experiences from last year. Always impressive to witness some love-based resilience.

    2012 can totally kiss my as as well, it's been pretty challenging and I'm REALLY happy to see the end of this personal apocalypse. On the other end: this total mess has given me writing material for a long time.

    Would I go through 2012 again for the sake of being an experienced man? I guess not!

    Wishing you a sweet+meaningful new year.

    gael blanchemain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2013 is wide open! Here's ta a great 2013 we've all eared it Gael.

      Delete
    2. By the way Gael - do you have a blog?

      Delete
  7. Very well said. Honesty takes courage and I admire both in any human being.

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.