Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Edge of Irish ..

Happy St Patrick day! I hope you all found something green to wear today. 

I was thinking about how we identify ourselves and what it really means to be Irish. I call myself Irish mostly because being Irish is cool lately - not so much a hundred years ago. But really the only nationality I can identify myself with is a Canadian and even that is questionable because my father was born in London England. The truth is I am quite the mutt - although there is definitely a British Island theme to my genealogy. 

So, here it goes - I am:
  1. British
  2. Irish
  3. Scottish 
  4. Welsh
  5. German
Which makes me an arrogant, alcoholic, cheapskate with a quick temper and a superiority complex. My one Grandpa was mostly Irish but ironically he came from Manchester England.  Basically the Brits came over to Ireland and took his shit and put him to work in the coal mines, or so the story goes. 


I'm not sure what any of this really means but when we get to that point of our life where we really start questioning who we are, this whole lack of national identity doesn't help. Being Canadian doesn't make it any clearer. 

We Canadians are defined by our lack of definition. 

So when people ask me what Nationality I am I have been saying Irish - but technically I'm Irish-ish. I am really just as British - maybe even more so. But after Braveheart who wants to be British - thanks for that Mel Gibson.  

I've written before about being "fragmented". This whole idea that in different circumstances we act different to try to fit in with the other Humans. Over the years this fragmentation takes it's toll on our identity and we can lose ourselves in the Mythology we have created when trying to define ourselves.

The antithesis of fragmentation is individuation - the reconciliation of the fact that we are defined as a sum of our parts - not any one random piece of the puzzle. The truth is that I'm not any one of these Nationalities - I'm all of them.  I'm not Irish per say - but being Irish is part of who I am. We are all a unique combination of biology, genealogy, experiences and reactions that has never been put together in exactly the same way as it has in you or me. 

Thank God for that!  

This is the core of "Notes from the Edge" - it is my attempt to explain Life from the outside looking in. As an individual, unique in every way, constructed by a series of random events, I am the sum of those events - this Chaos. Embracing this Chaos as my true Creator, giving up on fighting and vainly trying to control conditions beyond control is the path to freedom from the bondage of Self. It is how I am able to exist in peace and harmony with my surroundings and the  other Humans. 

So, happy St Patricks Day whether your Irish or Irish-ish or just another Misfit trying to get through the day as best you can. 

In honor of my Irish Grandpa I'll leave you with this Old Irish Verse

May the roads rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sunshine warmly on your face.
And the rains fall softly upon your fields.

And until we meet again
May God hold you 
In the palm of His hand. 



Respectfully from The Edge.



3 comments:

  1. This article is just what I needed to read after my confrontation with LinkedIn Members at odds with each other in a discussion regarding the Traumatic Energy Release that occurs during massage therapy--it felt traumatic. Your article cheered me up. I am a dual citizen of Northern Ireland and the USA! My grandparents arrived at Ellis Island from Donegal (my Grandmother was from Roscommon.) None of this wonderful heritage makes me feel any different in this present moment. My husband is upset with me for not doing my share of housecleaning today...I've been e-blogging, to escape the mound of laudry and dishes a family of five heaps up daily (miss just one day and that pushes my man to drink...alcohol numbs the angry factor--who cares what my heritage is this fine Saint Patrick's Day....I've frustrated my hubby by escaping into cyberland. Enough now. I will start the machines whirring...certainly my Irish Grandmother NEVER washed clothes in a washer or dryer...or cleaned their dishes in am amazing dishwasher---to THINK I would even get lazy, having MACHINES to do MOST of the work for me. NOT TO mention 3/4ths of the entire world does not have these household aides. I hear my husband's growl. Goodbye! Good Luck (if you think there is such entity.) Blessings from Saint Patrick for us all:) to love unconditionally and be the peace we want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey trusty - glad this fund you. Funny I thought you mut be Irish. We all need a little peace. Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But after Braveheart who wants to be British - thanks for that Mel Gibson"; This is how I secretly feel about my German heritage & the whole WWII fiasco.

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.