Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Edge on Easter

Happy Easter,

Looking out my office window today :)
Easter is my favourite holiday. Not because I now live in a Christian house - which I do. I married a very Christian wife and I became a Christian by default. I don't attend the services much - I call myself "Christian Light" or  a "Decaffeinated Christian" - but I do believe in God and the trinity. Where I get in trouble with my Christian brothers is I also believe in the Buddha and the Native American Creator and even some of the ideas around Intelligent Design. Even if you're not Christian, the Easter Story has a lot of relevant meaning. 

For years I thought Easter was when Jesus came out of his cave and if he saw his shadow it was 6 weeks until spring.

My wife informed me that's not the case. It about rebirth. Well that's not much of a stretch. All I have to do is look out my window to be see rebirth. In my corner of the World we are melting out from under the last bits of winter this time of year. In some corners of the World there is no winter, and that must be cool to a certain degree, but I like my four seasons. 

Winter makes Spring better. 

For me it is nature that defines Spring and rebirth. The Sun gets stronger and warmer,  the plants and trees get greener and brighter, flowers start growing and the animals are waking up from their hibernation and coming into the valleys to drink from melting lakes and streams and have their babies ... 

It is rebirth - and it's my favourite time of year - the Christian story about Jesus rising from the dead fits nicely with all this.

Most doctors will only allow their patients to stop taking depression medication in spring because it is when people's spirits are the highest and depression levels are the lowest. I get seasonally depressed - but for me it's in the Summer because I've got my winter fat and I don't look too good in a bathing suit anymore :s 

Easter is a good time of year for Mulligans - or  Do-overs. We get a nice four-day weekend to reflect on how our year is going so far. Its been a few months since New Years resolution and maybe we aren't where thought we'd be.  Easter is the time for new beginnings so why not cut ourselves some slack today. Take a little inventory of where we are and where we want to be and start over - reset starting .... NOW! I've come to understand suffering is optional. 

So today I'm opting out of suffering. 

Hey, I still have eight months left in the year to take it all back but a fresh start today won't hurt. Who knows maybe it will even stick. So, anyways, happy Easter Folks! Enjoy some family time, easter bunny chocolate, turkey and don't forget to give yourself a break.

Respectfully From the Edge.

5 comments:

  1. Gabriel Barcia Marquez “Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but ... life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time stands still for no one, yet to live for ever is to be timeless. I choose to live forever! (Christ's Resurrection for the salvation from our dark sides and Easter are like East and West, to me. I don't celebrate Easter anymore.)"Easter" meant my Mom's faithful Easter Basket full of plastic green grass, hiding speckled varying colors of chocolate malt balls...the only "candy" I cared to find. I endured jelly beans and bright yellow, yucky, sugary, marshmallow peeps. (Hey! ...i thought the spelling of marshmellow was correct...apparently at mid-life, Google Spell Check has set my mind "right!")

    ENJOY EASTER. ENJOY Passover and the First Fruits Feast. ENJOY ANY moment of breath and movement you can. Don't blame God if ya can't hear THE Still Quiet Voice Inside You...writing words in the sky for everyone to gawk at and debate about is not going to happen. Reading "God's Word" without knowing God's thoughts about those "words of Scripture" is just as meaningless. Capitalize this: we each have a hidden person of the heart where God communicates with us...and that's why Christ died & rose from the dead...to show us we are now timeless!

    By all means, if Easter baskets with candy and finding hidden Easter Eggs in the back yard helps us Peeps celebrate our freedom from present inner & outer darkness, then blessings of happiness for us.

    Be REALLY thankful because Christ died and rose to NEW LIFE in order to timely give us New Life Within (believe this or not...I think our outer, earthly selves are timed for disintegration---so that in an effortless twinkle of God's Perfect Eye we will receive eternal and timeless bodies, souls, spirits...never to die again or cause pain or sorrow, no more evil...at an appointed moment for each of us. Believe this or not...my gut tells me this is worth following Faith, Hope, and Love, the greatest being Love because the feeling of present certain hope and the struggle of grappling with faith...will turn into perfect sight and lasting joy of being transformed into perfect Love forever! In just a twinkling of the BEST eye, this present darkness won't be remembered...not even a blip on the radar screen, when we are all perfected by the LIGHT into eternal perfect Beings of love No more need for spell check or proper capitalization...no more offenses and fences of self greed.) Happy Everyday in your brand of Faith, Hope, and Love, or at least feel some comfort, if all this sounds like fantasy world...this present darkness can throw curve balls that we can't recover from, yet in the end, I believe we'll all know fully and be the happiest in our forever---no more let downs! Meanwhile, whatever comforts you in a way that helps you really smile...I wish that for you! My fantasy of faith helps me. Who can say that fantasy won't ever come true? :)

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.