Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Edge of Significance


Photo from: www.phatstartup.com

Shortly after I started my Blog “Notes From the Edge”, I wrote a post on Success. In this post I touched on the idea that we move through the following series of stages in our professional lives (The Four S’s):

Survival à Stability à Success à Significance.

Success was not identified as an end - but a means by which a life of significance could be achieved. At the time I was sitting on a decaying throne of success and significance built on fifteen years of hard work and dedication as a Community Development Manager and Consultant.  It was my grand plan to transfer the significance I had earned in Community Development to the pursuit of my new career as a writer.

Apparently it doesn’t work that way.

I am pretty sure I knew that. Despite this knowledge, when you are used to a certain amount of recognition and acclamation in one field there is an expectation, or at least a hope, that this will follow you into your next endeavor.  It would be nice if we could skip passed the messy inconveniences of survival and stability and go straight to success and significance. There is a reason, however, why the road from survival to significance is set out as a progression.

The progression through the Four S’s is a Rite of Passage, of sorts, for Significance.

It takes a certain amount of humility to achieve true significance. Humility can be defined as “a modest opinion of one’s own importance, rank or position” or “the absence of arrogance.” I am not a particularly humble person by nature. I would prefer a stunning failure to a mediocre victory.

Humility comes hand in hand with the mediocrity and anonymity associated with new beginnings.

Trudging day in and day out, with determination and purpose, while building the talent, inventory and credibility required for significance is just like real work. I have always been an excellent builder and a terrible administrator. Over the last fifteen years I have spent ten years building significance and five years being significant … (and humble?)

Then I got bored, “reinvented myself” and - back to trudging.

My experience now shows me that the journey through the Four S’s is not a linear process but more of an upward spiral. The price of admission is lower and the path is less resistant now, as I work towards significance for the second (or is this the third?) time.  I am wiser and more efficient in spite of myself. I have learned not to make the same mistakes twice (definitely not three times). I now realize that it is in the trenches where I shine - slugging it out in the pursuit of something better. Maybe I’ll see you there.

Trudging towards Significance.



Respectfully,
Sam Edge

4 comments:

  1. Forgive me Sam... my OCD loaded your inbox with umpteen posts from a virtual and literal stranger; socially unthinkable, and all because "doing the next right thing" is unbearable.

    I don't honestly understand Churchill's "edge on success," regarding failure with enthusiasm. Failure for me is when "I've 'fallen' and I can't get up," figuratively.

    My emotions halt my activities of daily living. For the general view: HALT means; Hungry, ANGRY, Lonely, Tired.

    Then,

    it's much easier to write about what makes a good life, than actually live one, with all the people who count on me to contribute consistently to their well-being.

    Consistency online doesn't drain my spirit like interacting with "real" people can, whose immediate body language, demands, or expectations remind me that I am STILL not up to speed...their speed, anyway.

    My "HALT" gets triggered "doing [even ONE more] next right thing."

    Thank Heaven's Google+...expressing my voice in the wilderness through blog posts becomes my temporary substitute psychiatric inpatient stay...which in reality, my family is thankful for!

    Pouring my heart out may seem like vomiting to some. However, I can't see those frowns, easily...and the difference that any form of kind human interaction can make in loosening the drying cement around my "fallen body form" is greatly appreciated, eternally.

    Phone conversations & visits with friends or family tends to keep the cement tightening, since my greatest communication need is to pop the pressure cooker top. WHAT safer way to productively "vent" than to e-blog; subtly, incognito, and as unobtrusively, as possible.

    After I soothe my "inner anger beast," fill up my "hungry heart" with encouraging words of affirmation volunteered freely by cyber friends...my loneliness factor diminishes, and the world starts looking brighter. My zapped energy bars start lighting up in full spectrum...I CAN RISE UP AGAIN & wash dishes, take care of the laundry, figure out bills, be on-time for shift-work & long class lectures, while my grumpy family members start liking me again because they see I'm HAPPY!

    Response-abilities feel like another day's walk in the park! Thank YOU SAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Comment Theresa - I moved you from G+ to my Page so we can all see it. Your comment is funny and true. Doing the next right thing can be unbearable. Suck it up princess and do it anyway.

      I love the Churchill quote but to me it means that Success is note the absence of failure but the ability to keep moving forward in spite of failure. When HALT kicks in sleep, eat, talk, breathe and it should go away ... right?

      QUOTE "Thank Heaven's Google+...expressing my voice in the wilderness through blog posts becomes my temporary substitute psychiatric inpatient stay...which in reality, my family is thankful for!" LMFAO! You are priceless.

      You said: "its much easier to write about a good life than to live one" OUCH! This sent chills down my spine. If I have become some sort of talking head sitting on my pedestal telling them what to do ... "Here take my advice. I'm not using it" I think i will have t stick a chopstick in my eye and commit Hari Kari right here and now! UGH

      What I try to do is share my experience, strength and hope. I don't like opinions and really who gives a shit about my opinion anyway??? But I have had my share of adversity in my life - abandonment, poverty, addiction, abuse, self loathing - and by sharing how I deal with it I hope I can help others face their own demons.

      For now what I have figured out is that doing the next right thing seems to work.



      THANK YOU THERESA!!!!

      Delete
  2. excellent writing I love reading your blog ...its good insights with injections of humour throughout...keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.