Monday, January 21, 2013

The Edge on God

I have been alive for 17001 days. 

I found this out from Robert D Smith, a Guest Writer on Jeff Goins' Blog. I don't follow many Bloggers faithfully; however, I do enjoy Jeff's writing on life, advice on growing my Blog and his network of talented Bloggers. A network I would be proud to add myself to Jeff ... if you're listening.

So that's enough shameless sucking up to Jeff.

I have decided that at the ripe age of 17001 days I should come out of the closet. 

When I started Blogging I decided I would try to stay in the Centre of most polarising issues as not to alienate one side or the other (this strategy tends to piss of both sides by the way). There is an issue that is a growing part of who I am that I have skirted around and managed not to come right out and own up to in my posts ...

 I'm a Christian.

How many of you thought I was going to say I was Gay?

How many of you wished I said I was Gay?

Photo credit: www.wellspringcounselinggroup.com/blog
Anyways there it is. This may not be as big a deal as I think it is but I come from a science background and there was a significant period in my life where I was either agnostic or atheist. In fact, the very mention of God, would have led me to believe that you were of a weaker and less intelligent species and sent me off on a rant on creation and evolution.

My road to becoming a Christian was slow and painful. I would not consider myself a traditional Christian by any means and my belief in God is the single most personal thing about me. So sharing it with you folks is as intimate as it gets.

I can't talk about this subject without talking about my wife. She is the reason I am a Christian and she is what I believe God had in mind when he made Christians. I am proud to be a Christian because of her. Other than my wife, there are two very important things that being a Christian brought to my life - Prayer and Community.

So from now on we will begin each post with a prayer... Just kidding.

I won't change the nature or content of my posts much. I am just no longer going to skirt around the issue. This is part of my commitment to being Authentic. But prayer is a part of my daily life. I pray with my wife and 5 year old.

My 11 year old has decided that being a Christian isn't cool and I am fine with that for now. I just put the information in front of her and let her make up her own mind.  Coming to grips with an understanding of God, or higher power, or whatever is a life time process.

So in the future when I refer to God that's what I mean.  If you prefer Creator, Buddha, Mohamed, or the Great Out Doors please, do whatever works for you. To close this post on God I will share a prayer I stole from the Alcoholics. My 5 year old says it whenever she is sad or misses her big sister.

God, 
Grant me the Serenity, 
To Accept the Things I Cannot Change,
The Courage to Change the Things I can, and 
The Wisdom to Know the Difference.


Respectfully, From the Edge

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I responded back to you there.

    As far as your post, this really hits home with me. I live in the south, and I am also a christian. I also do not consider myself to be a "traditional" christian, and the way I view things is a bit different then most.

    But my boyfriend of almost a year, considers himself an athiest. This sometimes makes me uneasy. Only because sometimes I wonder if he looks down on me or thinks i'm stupid because I believe. I love him very much, and I've never felt about anyone quite like him. He also has a strong science background, and grew up catholic and I think that's part of his strong rejection of religion.

    Either way, we've had lots of discussions about it. And he says he doesn't look at my any differently because of it. And quite honestly I hope this isn't something that will come between us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most powerful message ever was carried by my wife and it was not what she said but what she did. Lead by example. I realized that I loved my wife and she was Christian so I must love that part of her as well. It was a Major turning point for me.

      But I am just figuring this stuff out myself Olivia - take what I say and run it through your own value system and make the right decision for yourself. This is important stuff we're talking about.

      Take Care, Sam

      Delete
    2. All my life I was turned off of Christianity by what others said or did - even though there were some who were truly great examples. Then I decided to quit listening to others and listen to Jesus. Jesus said, " I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." After that nothing else mattered.

      There is more to that story but once I accepted that Jesus did indeed actually die on the cross and was resurrected 3 days later so that I would believe and have ever lasting life it was like someone turned on the lights and I could actually see for the first time.

      It doesn't matter what other people think of you - what matters is how God sees you.

      Delete
    3. Yes I totally agree C.K. this subject is far too important to let what others think effect your direction or beliefs. For me there was allot of personal prejudices that I had to overcome before I could really hear and receive the Word. I try to keep it simple - pray lots and think of WWJD?.

      Thank you for your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sam,

    Yeah I agree with you, I definitely love him and he says it doesn't bother him at all that I believe. We always have open communication and that is the key. I also agree that leading by example is very important, and I try to do that by being the most loving, caring and supportive person I can for him :).

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.