Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Edge of Honesty

"I have always told you some version of the truth." Jack Nicholson, Something's Gotta Give, 2003

We all know there are no versions of the truth - the truth is the truth. That being said, no one holds the patent on being right. Two people can disagree and both be right ... but I digress.

This is a follow up post to the "Edge of Fear" posted a few hours ago. That post ended with the statement:


Photo Credit Disney
"The only way to truly overcome the defences we build up to protect our fears is through Psychological Honesty" (or words to that effect.)

It has always been a point of personal pride that I have identified and maintained a level of Psychological Honesty.To explain Psychological Honesty I will give an example of Psychological Dishonesty.

I don't like "Fred" because he stole a girl from me 15 years ago. My wife wants me to go a dinner party with Fred and his wife (my old flame). I pick a fight with my wife and stomp off and go to my buddies to watch football because we aren't getting along now she doesn't want to go to the party. I do all this without acknowledging that I picked the fight to get out of an uncomfortable situation.

So in order to overcome the fear I have of facing Fred I have lied to myself. It is a obvious ploy but my need to avoid Fear is so great I ignore the obvious and even blame my wife for the whole thing.

This may seem like a silly example. But I see versions of this type of self deception all the time. I like to think I am above these shenanigans - but the stronger the Fear, the more ridiculous stunts we pull to avoid it. It is often obvious and frustrating to the spouse, or whomever, you are pulling these stunts on.

Now if I would do that to avoid Fred - what would I do to avoid running into someone I really hurt or who really hurt me. This is how we become fragmented, and our Authentic Self becomes buried in a labyrinth of self-deception and denial ... all supported by our old frienemy - Fear.

We have to put a stop to this childish and pathetic behaviour if we expect to expose the Bogey man that is Fear. We must be Psychologically Honest and expose these ridiculous lies to the light that dissolves them and allows our Authentic Selves to shine through.

As Carl Jung puts it: "it is the privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are."

Its simple ... but not easy.

Respectfully, from the Edge.
The Edge on Strategy

2 comments:

  1. Hello! This is silveriris from the bloggeries forum. You commented on my post and welcomed me to the forum. I just wanted to take you up on the idea of swapping notes about blogging. I also joined your site :)

    I like your blog post here, I have a special place in my heart reserved for psychology and psychological issues. I agree with you that truth can be subjective at times. But all we can do is be as honest as possible and just be ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Silveriris, thanks for the comment. I have been away from my computer for the weekend and the first thing I am doing is responding to all my comments ... which is you :) I am definitely interested in swapping posts and or comments. I will get my blog on today and see where it takes us!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete

You comments are important! Thanks in advance.